Getting Started With Solar Energy at Home
Choosing to go solar for the energy provisions in your home is a smart move. The many advantages of doing so are evidence enough that you are on the right track. However, many people find it hard to actualize this step. It may seem complicated at first, but after reading his piece, you will understand how easy and straightforward it is.
First things first – what do you need for the solar power?
- The sun – Well, it is true that the sun will not go off anytime soon, but the positioning of your house affects the amount power you will get from it.
- Solar panels – The number and size of panes you will need will majorly depend on the size of the household and the power needs.
- Inverter – You will have to convert the DC power from the panels into AC, and that is the work of the inverter.
- Electricity meter – It will be necessary to quantify the power you will be feeding back into the grid (if at all you will), and you will need a whole new bi-directional electricity meter for that.
- Batteries – If you are planning to store energy for use later, you will need batteries – that is if you have decided to go off-grid.
How does it work?
One thing many people have no idea about is how solar power is generated. A typical system has solar cells that work to collect solar energy using the photovoltaic (PV) effect. This explains the PV labels you see in many solar systems. It is worth noting that not all systems use the PV effect. It will depend on how you plan to use the generated energy.
During the day, the panels collect sunlight and the inverter converts the DC into AC for use in the house including lighting and heating. Besides, the current could be fed outwards into the grid if you choose to or stored in batteries should you decide to go totally off-grid.
Can you do the installation yourself?
Technically speaking, you can do a part of the solar power installation yourself, but experts in the industry advise otherwise. It is crucial that you seek professional assistance. This is mainly because you will need an assurance of the safety of your family using the power. The good thing is that you can get a quotation for your solar system installation easily and quickly with a few clicks.
What capacity of solar energy do you need?
The answer to this question will depend not only on the total power consumption in your house but also the time you actually need the power. These factors complicate the question, but with the help of a professional, you should be able to determine the amount of power you need for your home. Bear in mind that the size of the system and the positioning of the panels will affect the efficiency of the solar power generation.