4 House Pests That Can Affect Your Health

Black Widow Spider

Pests can be harmful to your health, and the presence of certain types of pests in your living space is particularly concerning. Some pests bite, while others carry potentially life-threatening diseases. Still others can cause infections in those who are exposed to them. Understanding which pests are most concerning can help you keep an eye out for warning signs and get rid of them as quickly as possible when you spot them.

Black Widow Spiders

Black widows are highly venomous spiders that can release that venom into the body when they bite. A bite from a black widow can cause health concerns or even death, although the venom usually isn’t potent enough to take down a human victim. However, the bite is also very painful and can cause body and stomach pain, nausea, chills, muscle spasms, shock, high blood pressure, and fevers. If you notice the telltale warning sign of a black widow, the black rounded body with a red hourglass shape on the underside, take action immediately.


No one wants to see a cockroach in their home, but with thousands of different species in the world, this is a pest that many people will experience at some point. You may believe the misconception that cockroaches infest unclean or poorly maintained homes, but this isn’t the case. They take up residence in places where they have access to warmth, food, and water, and your home may be their next spot.

Cockroaches can carry many different types of bacteria and viruses, which can spread to anyone in the home. Children and pets are particularly at risk because they tend to play on the floor, where roaches may leave behind their droppings.


Rodents are also common pests that can carry and spread disease. Mice and rats will search your house for food, and they can gnaw through packaging to get to all types of dried goods in the pantry. Mice also constantly release liquid waste, contaminating every surface with which they come into contact. If they carry any disease, such as meningitis, salmonella, or E. coli, those diseases can be transmitted to your kitchen surfaces.


Centipedes are invertebrates that fall under the classification of arthropods. These carnivores can release a paralyzing venom that causes their victims to become helpless as they are consumed. They are also quite aggressive and will attack when provoked.

While the venom isn’t potent enough to render a human victim helpless, it can cause a significant allergic reaction. Some of these reactions may include nausea, extreme swelling around the bite, itching, nausea, chills, swollen lymph nodes, and heart palpitations. A bite from one of these basement bugs is also quite painful. Centipedes are most commonly found in basements because they prefer to live in dark, damp places.

Pests are more than just bothersome — many can be harmful to your health. It’s important to keep an eye out for signs of an infestation of these worrisome pests in your home and take action to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Would you like to receive similar articles by email?

Aaron Gordon is a writer for various blogs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *