You work so hard to protect and provide comfort and safety for your family. You make sure everyone has the best quality foods, plenty of exercise, and lots of quality sleep to keep your family’s health in check. You even “baby-proofed” your home for every new family member.
The problem is that some dangers are not so clearcut. You may work your tail off trying to provide a safe and healthy home for your family, but the invisible dangers in the home may still catch you by surprise.
Keeping yourself educated and well informed is your best tool against those domestic dangers you cannot see. Start learning now, and read through a brief summary, featuring some of the most worrisome invisible dangers in the home.
Mold spores are evil ninjas
Mold spores in your home can cause an array of health issues. Allergies in children, breathing stressors in the elderly, and asthma are all issues you could face from the presence of mold spores in your home.
Mold spores thrive in moist environments, and they love wood finishings, drywall, and cold cement. To avoid enabling the mold spores, make sure you clean up any damp areas or water damage in and around your home. Keep things clean and dry, and you’ll be in better shape.
Radon was discovered to be an issue in American homes about a decade ago. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says that radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers.
Carbon monoxide is another invisible gas that you cannot taste or smell in the air. Homes that use gas heat, furnaces, wood stoves, fireplaces, and/or kerosene heaters are all susceptible to a carbon monoxide buildup in the home.
The good news is that these two issues are easily avoidable. You can have your house tested for radon levels, and a carbon monoxide detector you can plug into any outlet is a simple buy.
Most people assume that lead-based paint issues are a thing of the past, but the truth is quite the opposite. There are still plenty of lead poisoning cases in the U.S. every year, nearly a quarter of a million.
Lead paint can become hazardous if it is flaking or peeling, if it is ingested, and when it is present on a surface that suffers a lot of friction or impact. For example, the flaking paint on an old window sill is bad for business.
Formaldehyde can cause problems
You may not really consider formaldehyde to be a possible danger in your home, but it is still commonly used in pressed wood furniture pieces. You may also find formaldehyde in carpet, and it is bad for causing asthma and other respiratory problems.